Thursday, July 3, 2008

Let the Games Begin!

When I was a child growing up games were a huge part of our family life. Daddy, mama, my sister and I played for hours. We played favorites like Aggravation, Sorry, Monopoly, and Mille Bornes often.

We lived briefly in San Jose, CA and my mom got together for huge game tournaments with my grandma and aunts. I remember them playing Royalty, Risk, Dominoes and Scrabble while they ate artichokes (don't ask me why it was always artichokes, but it always was!) and drank Tab cola. But mostly I remember the conversations...the laughter...the mock fighting over a word or point, in short, the camaraderie. Kathy and I played quietly with our dolls or read books and just enjoyed being in the same room with mama, grandma and the aunts.

When we moved here I was 15. One of the first things we did after arriving in Sacramento was go to the Wilson's house. There Bro. and Sis. Wilson and my parents played a never-ending game of Chinese checkers. We ate nachos and drank Coke and I remember again the laughter...the conversations...the sense of belonging.

As young people playing card games was something we did when everyone got together. I remember playing Rook at the Pope's house, Skip-bo, Uno and Phase 10.

Now my kids all love games...we play Mexican Train Dominoes, Scattergories, Skip-bo, Phase 10, and if dad is joining us, a cut-throat game of Monopoly. We eat popcorn and drink sweet tea and what I hope they remember most is the laughter...the conversations...the sense of belonging, in short, the camaraderie.

11 comments:

Kari Morgan said...

Hey I didn't know you had this blog! Yay!!!!!

Kim said...

we are stuck on Yahtzee right now, but I love a challenging game of Scrabble! Mexican train is great with a large group of people, except it takes forever(the same reason I don't play monopoly). Why does it seem that when daddy want to play a game it is always monopoly? funny! sounds like you are having a great time with your family!!!

Beth said...

We are having a blast! As to dads and Monopoly...I don't know! Maybe when they take the dad pledge and get their enrollment card in the official father's club it includes the obligation to play loooong, vicious games of Monopoly with their kids? JK...I am thankful my husband plays with our children, even if he makes the girls cry sometimes. NOT REALLY! Sheesh!

Beth said...

Oh, and I LOVE YOU, Kari Morgan!

Kim said...

Hey, you have a new blog! I like it, and it's great to read through it. Hope you had a great 4th!

Beth said...

Kim...I got frustrated and deleted my other family blog about 6 months ago. Now I'm sorry...I wish I had some of those posts now! Act in haste...repent at leisure!

Good to hear from you...I check your and the children's blogs almost daily!

Kim said...

I haven't been great about keeping up my blogs like I'd like to. I'm thinking about combining the three into one blog but haven't decided yet.

Beth said...

I've gone to an annual update instead of a bi-anual update on Julia's website...I just cannot keep up! I totally understand. If you do, let me know how you do it!

James Wilder said...

You know you can import blog posts into any new blog you make so they are never lost forever?! I found out how to do this when moving to Wordpress, which is where the new C&C blog will be.

Beth said...

Very cool. I wish they could help me recover some of my old posts...sigh.

Beth said...

Very cool. I wish they could help me recover some of my old posts...sigh.