Thursday, July 17, 2008

Farmer's Market Bounty!

On Wednesday afternoons we go the Elk Grove Park to see what wonderful fresh produce we can find at the Farmer's Market. This year the offerings are a bit more expensive than in years past, but considering the prices in the stores there are still some great deals to be found.

Olivia and I see it as a treasure hunt...which stall has the best nectarines? Tomatoes? Peppers? Do we want to buy strawberries here or at the stand up the road from our house? We leave the house with a set amount of money (usually change collected throughout the week) and head out with high hopes. We are rarely disappointed.

Yesterday we got a great deal! We got there as they were closing (a great tip for getting the best deals) and quickly ran through trying to see everything before it was all loaded up and rumbling away in the trucks. We bought nectarines, peppers, onions, melons, cucumbers, two kinds of squash and tomatoes.

A sidenote: I readily admit that I am the only one in my house that will eat the squash. That's ok. I will prepare it the way I like it and eat my solitary supper with great relish! I will also ignore the faces my family will make as I eat it. Like my grandma always said: "Keep your eyes on your own plate!"

Back to our blessing...the tomatoes were a dollar a pound, a decent price for these large vine ripened beauties. After employing a complicated system of weighing the tomatoes in our hands and imagining what we would do with each one, we decided that we could eat at least 7 pounds during the week...sandwiches, salads, salsa. So we selected our tomatoes and paid our $7.00 to the vendor.

The tomatoes ended up being our last purchase of the day and we headed back to the car. As I passed between two stalls a man spoke to me: "Want a box of tomatoes?" I looked at the box he was indicating. It was a LARGE box heaped with tomatoes. "There are about 28 pounds of tomatoes there" he said, trying to convince me. I asked him how much for the box and he answered $10.00.

I told him I would check and dug around to see what money I had. I had eight dollars. He took the money without hesitation and told me to take the tomatoes. I picked up the box...which weighed AT LEAST 28 pounds and went home.

We have given tomatoes to bunches of people and still have plenty left to enjoy! What a blessing!

So, the point of telling this story is to encourage you to shop at the farmer's market and to give me a reason to post a fresh salsa recipe...here you go!

Fresh Tomato Salsa
2-3 medium sized fresh tomatoes (from 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb), stems removed, finely diced
1/2 red white or yellow onion, finely diced
1 jalapeño chili pepper, stems, ribs, seeds removed, finely diced (or a tablespoon of canned diced jalapeño's)
Juice of one lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Start with chopping up the fresh tomatoes. Prepare the chilies. Be very careful while handling these hot peppers. If you can, avoid touching them with your hands. Use a fork to cut up the chilies over a small plate, or use a paper towel or gloves to protect your hands. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and hot water after handling and avoid touching your eyes for several hours. (I learned this the hard way!)

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Taste. If the chilies make the salsa too hot, add some more chopped tomato. If not hot enough, add more chilies.

Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine. Makes approximately 3-4 cups. Serve with chips, tortillas, tacos, burritos, tostadas, quesadillas, pinto or black beans.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, that's one thing of the few things I do miss about California...the great produce. Our farmer's markets are not cheaper than the grocery store, though it's much better produce. We usually have to pay about $2.50 per pound for tomatoes (and I haven't been this year...could be more!).

Here's a tip my sister-in-law (who is from Vera Cruz, Mexico) taught me: roast the tomatoes and chilies in a cast iron skillet or even an open flame first. Then peel them, chop, and make the salsa. It's a lot more work, but, oh, so good!

Beth said...

That sounds wonderful...like Chevy's salsa! Thanks for the tip...we have enough tomatoes to try it! Wish I could send you some!

TRC Rockers said...

Mmmmmmm! That salsa looks soooo yummy! I'm a sucker for great salsa. Thanks for the produce tips.

East Coast-er Momma said...

I knew you would appreciate my milk story...hahah. I thought of you as I was writing it. AND I have another salad to help you use up some of those tomatoes!
Seeing as you have a large family(and I'm not sure who like the tomatoes)
Start with 2 tomatoes diced
1/2 Cucumber diced
small spoon sour cream
small spoon mayo
salt and pepper to taste
Mix up!

YUM!! This is a Russian salad that is my FAV...(can also cut some fresh dill to give it a real herb-y taste

Beth said...

Misha...sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it! I even have all the ingredients. The dill I have is dried...I don't think it matters though. Thanks!

Jess...what is your favorite salsa recipe? Maybe I'll start a blog that is all recipe exchange...mmmm!